- Wonton or gowgee wrappers
- soysauce or your favourite dipping sauce
- 1 cup of minced chicken, minced pork or minced prawn meat
- 1 cup of bean sprouts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic and/or ginger
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce and/or soy sauce and/or fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or lemon juice
- ½ cup diced chives or spring onion or coriander
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Combine your choice of filling ingredients in a bowl. The mix should be sticky but not wet.
- Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of filling into a wonton wrapper.
- Fold wrapper around the mixture any way you like (I usually pick one style for each flavour combination).
- Line steamer with baking paper or cabbage leaves.
- Place wontons in steamer for 10 minutes
- Serve with soy sauce, your favourite dipping sauce or in soup.
(If your dumplings are fully sealed, try cooking them in boiling water for 3 minutes instead of steaming. This is faster and requires less equipment than steaming. In fact, if you are using gow gee wrappers, I find that boiling actually works better than steaming.)
Suggested filling combinations:
- prawns with ginger, soy, lemon and chives
- chicken with sweet chilli, garlic, lime and coriander
- pork with sweet chilli, soy, spring onion, ginger