A fun little recipe to trick your friends and family!
These cheese and bacon muffins are cooked in colourful pattypans and iced with a deliciously smooth whipped feta. For extra trickery, beetroot juice is added to the feta to make the icing look super-sweet.
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 rashers of bacon, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup milk
- 100 grams butter, softened
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- 200 grams Danish feta
- 100 grams firm cream cheese
- Lemon juice to taste
- A few drops of beetroot juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cook diced bacon and garlic.
- Combine flour, eggs, butter, milk and mustard in a bowl, to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Add cheese, cooked bacon and garlic, parsley and pepper to batter.
- Stir to combine. (Add extra milk or flour as required if the batter is too thick to stir, or if it is runny.)
- Spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Cook muffins for approximately 10 minutes (mini muffins) or 20 mins (normal muffins) or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow cooked muffins to cool.
- Combine icing ingredients in food processer until thick and smooth.
- Pipe or spread icing onto cooled muffins.